Preplanning your funeral or memorial service allows you to take care of tomorrow at today’s prices. This will give you peace of mind that your funeral will reflect your beliefs and wishes, to ease the burden on family and friends when you die.
Our checklist will guide you through every stage of preplanning a funeral. You can also contact us for further information or support.
1. Choose a funeral director
- Find a funeral director who is well-respected in their local community and complies with a high standard of ethics and conduct.
- Ask your funeral director about bereavement services for your family and friends.
2. Arrange a funeral service
- Decide where you would like your funeral service to take place.
- Choose whether you would like a burial, cremation or memorial service.
- Work with your funeral director to plan a service according to your personal wishes.
3. Find a Sydney cemetery
- Find a Sydney cemetery in a location that suits you.
- Purchase a burial or memorial site at your preferred Sydney cemetery.
4. Learn about funeral costs
- Consider whether you have financial arrangements in place to cover your funeral expenses.
- Pay for your funeral in advance, with our range of payment options and prepaid funeral loans.
5. Manage estate and wills
- Make sure your will is up to date and speak to an experienced solicitor for professional advice on estate planning and probate.
- Consider appointing a power of attorney and enduring guardian, who can act on your behalf if you become incapable of making decisions for yourself.
6. Communicate Your Wishes
- Let family and friends know about your funeral arrangements and preferences. Make sure all important documents and funeral plans are given to a family member and the executor of your estate, so your wishes can be followed.
- Use a Statement of Wishes document – email on firstname.lastname@example.org to receive a copy.
To start preplanning your funeral, contact us or call 1300 550 367.